Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Reading Notes: Hunt, Part A

Hansel and Grethel



Hansel and Grethel and the witch
(Image from Wikimedia Commons)


Notes:
  • I did not realize that the original name of Gretel was Grethel. Did they change it because Grethel was just too old fashioned? Hansel is a weird name too. 
  • The language and dialect used here is a bit hard for modern audiences to understand. I think if I re-wrote this I would try to modernize the whole thing
  • I have not read the story of Hansel and Gretel very much in my life because it honestly always scared me, but I did not realize it was this dark. I suppose I should not be surprised because it's the Brothers Grimm, but still
  • I feel like Hansel shouldn't have been in charge of figuring out a solution
  • I think the idea of rocks versus the adaptation where it is breadcrumbs is a way smarter. I always thought breadcrumbs could be lost way too easily to be effective
  • Hansel is really resourceful. I feel so bad for him that he is the neglected child and has to be the one in charge
  • Okay I like the dad I think. He seems like he at least somewhat cares for the children
  • The social worker in me (that's my major) is having an absolute panic attack right now at how messed up this situation is
  • I think the idea that Hansel keeps comforting Grethel with saying God will protect them is an interesting way to bring religion into play. The way religion is used here implies that God is not a protector but just something to say to comfort people while you have to take your situation into your own hands, as Hansel does. It just has some odd implications for the world where the story takes place
  • Ohhh okay I see now the breadcrumbs. Whoops.
  • I hate to say it, but why would she eat the part that was just pure sugar? The girl needs some carbs and something of sustenance, like the walls or roof
  • I do not trust this old woman. She seems sketchy, but I like the idea of the sort of temptress trope used here. The idea that the woman is a wolf in sheep's clothing is a good idea for my future writing
  • Does the witch subsist on children? What are the odds that children just wander through the woods all the time?
  • I like that the story gave a bit of background on the character of the witch. I feel like it did a good job without being overbearing
  • Hansel is super smart for the bone trick
  • Ooooo here comes Grethel with the tricks now! She does have a brain.
  • They brought religion back into it with the "godless witch" part so I guess this is a Christian culture to some extent
  • Are we just going to gloss over the fact that the mother is dead? Did the father kill her? I have questions.
  • I like that this story had a happy ending. I feel like that is definitely not always the case with Grimm tales

Bibliography:
Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm, translated by Margaret Hunt (1884)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microfiction Revisions: Two Spooky Little Stories

Original Texts: Got Ya I ran. I ran as fast as I possibly could, the branches whipping at face, grabbing at my hair. It was almost as though...