Monday, December 7, 2020

Microfiction: Christmas Eve and Other Stories

Christmas Eve

Pop. The flames rise in the fireplace. With every new crack my smile grows. I take a deep breath and the smell of pine fills my nose, compelling me to turn to the well-lit tree, almost bursting with decorations. I take a long drink from the liquid cheer in my hand and my head fills with memories, each one now represented by an ornament. Purrrr. The sound brings me back to the little ball of fur in my lap. While I gently pet her, I look to the window just in time to see the first snowflake hit the glass. 



I love this photo and it is exactly the vibe I am going for in the first story!
(Image by Jill Wellington from Pixabay)


8 Years Old

"How can she ever expect me to not be so excited," I wonder as I sift through the pile and pick up every box. She knows she got me the thing and I have to find it right now or else I will die!


Author's Note:
Hello! I wanted to do a little holiday special for my microfiction writing this week because I am just so excited about Christmas! We all know this year has been a tragedy and I wanted to make sure to spread a little cheer to us all. The first story is a snapshot of what a perfect Christmas Eve is to me. I wanted to really put you in the moment with me and make you reminisce on the best holiday memories you have. For the second story I want to do a classic tale of what Christmas is like when you are a kid but in the two-sentence format, so that's why I titled it the way I did! Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Oh and if you understood the reference of my post title, good job! That is my favorite Christmas album of all time!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I loved reading these. During a dreary dead week, nothing brings up my mood like realizing that Christmas is right around the corner. I have many memories exactly like you described in both your stories. It's cool how when you're a child, the best part of Christmas is the excitement over the presents. But when you're older, the best part is relaxing and reflecting on past holiday memories - just like both of your stories showed! Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete

Microfiction Revisions: Two Spooky Little Stories

Original Texts: Got Ya I ran. I ran as fast as I possibly could, the branches whipping at face, grabbing at my hair. It was almost as though...