Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Reading Notes: Hunt, Part B

Hans the Hedgehog


Hans on his rooster making the king sign over to him the first thing that greeted him at his kingdom.
(Image by Otto Ubbelohde)


Notes:
  • Again, this story was written in a time where language was spoken and written differently than if we were telling it now. I think if I re-tell this story for the week's writing I will definitely try to modernize it in some way.
  • I simply do not identify with the wanting children so badly, but go off I guess. Why was he willing to settle for a hedgehog though?
  • So the logical thing is that he was born to be half hedgehog? I also would argue that there are many other names he could have been called but okay
  • I DESPISE the word "suckled." I am aware this is a very minor issue with the storyline but I hate it nonetheless
  • Ummm this is child neglect, but that's fine. I don't think I would ever be able to put such a horrible detail into my own writing
  • Does Hans just live behind the stove? I am confused
  • I will not lie, I did not understand the way in which the word "cock" was being used in this story. My brain certainly did not automatically go to a rooster, to say the least. I think this is a very important detail that is lost on modern audiences.
  • Can hedgehogs climb trees? Is this important at all?
  • Oh so he is truly a small hedgehog! I was picturing him as a boy-sized hedgehog, but the fact that he can sit on a rooster clues me into the intent of the author.
  • I like the idea that Hans had a mystical glow-up where he can now serve kings and watch his flock while he chills in a tree. It's nice
  • Hans is sneaky. I feel like this is going to bite him in the butt.
  • Okay what the heck is the deal with his dad? He was greatly troubled that Hans was still alive? I thought he wanted children so badly that he would have taken a hedgehog!
  • I really wish the author would stop saying the phrase "seated himself on the cock." I do not wish to read it anymore.
  • So Hans just slaughtered everyone? I am so confused.
  • What the frick frack? I liked Hans. I was rooting for him until he freaking assaulted the daughter of the king (the fact that she was used as leverage is a whole other issue)
    • Why was the daughter disgraced? It isn't her fault the men in her life were awful
  • He can TAKE OFF HIS SKIN??? What in the world?? I hate this.
  • Why was he burnt? I simply do not understand what is going on here.
  • Um it feels super problematic that once he was white he was handsome.
  • I hate that once he was human he was accepted. What even is the moral of the story?
  • This is truly the weirdest story I have ever read. 


Bibliography:
Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm, translated by Margaret Hunt (1884)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microfiction Revisions: Two Spooky Little Stories

Original Texts: Got Ya I ran. I ran as fast as I possibly could, the branches whipping at face, grabbing at my hair. It was almost as though...