Sunday, August 30, 2020

Time Strategies

 


This clock face is thought-provoking and beautiful. 


    It is no secret to anyone in my life that I am not the best at managing my time. I tend to procrastinate and while I do believe that I work well under pressure, I know that I would be much happier with myself if I had a more organized way of working. In the majority of my classes, the strategy is simply to get the assignments done on time or else I'll fail. While this is a highly effective motivator, it tends to allow for a lot of wiggle room on exactly when I start the assignments, typically it is the last second possible, and still get them done "on time." I truly appreciate the way this class has set me up for success, though. Having the 5-6 hours blocked out in a way that works for my schedule is going to be a tremendous help and something I think I will try to utilize in my other classes. 

    The articles I chose to view were titled "Eat the Frogs First Thing in The Morning (And Other Better Work Habits)" and "How To Beat Procrastination". The first article was about breaking down your to-do list into four categories: things you don't want to do but have to, things you want to do and have to, things you want to do and don't have to, and things you don't want and don't have to do. The trick to avoiding procrastination is to choose the tasks from the first category, the don't want to but have to category, and doing them before anything else. This was hard for me to hear because I tend to keep myself busy with the things I need to do but also want to do, and that's fine, but I tend to neglect the things I simply don't want to do. The second article was about different strategies for overcoming procrastination. A big thing it talked about was breaking down large tasks into bite-sized pieces and creating a to-do list based on those pieces. Another good thing the author mentioned was figuring out why we keep telling ourselves "no" to the first step of some tasks, and how a few "why" questions can get through that blockage. Based on previous semesters, I would say the strategy of breaking things down into smaller tasks really works for me and helps me stay on top of my assignments and personal goals alike. It also truly helps to write every single thing down on my to-do list and then prioritize them based on due-dates or importance. I am still learning how to manage time, but I am confident I can find a method that consistently works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microfiction Revisions: Two Spooky Little Stories

Original Texts: Got Ya I ran. I ran as fast as I possibly could, the branches whipping at face, grabbing at my hair. It was almost as though...