Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales, Part B

The Shee an Gannon and the Gruagach Gaire



The Gruache Giare and his thunderous laughter.


Observations:

  • Although this is written over a hundred years ago, the language is easy to understand and lends itself well to modern audiences.
  • There is a decent amount of geographical locations listed in the story. I think we often we neglect to tell our readers where things are taking place, so I will try to be more cognizant of the way I introduce my settings.
  • The story is laid out in different pieces. There are different subheading, which aren't something I think to use when writing.
  • Even with all the other elements, this is a story where the girl is owned by her father and the suitor has to prove himself worthy to be with her. I tend to shy away from that trope because women aren't something to be won, so I don't love that about the tale. 
  • The Gruagach Gaire's story is incredibly tragic and devastating, which is something I have been trying to explore in my own writing. I think the author does a really good job at drawing the reader into the tragedy by making it the reason for the absence of the Gruagach's laughter. I will try to do something similar in my own writing. 
  • There is low-key a lot of gore in this story, and gore is something I have never written.
  • The ending of the story felt a bit rushed. It ended happily, but it felt like there could have been more detail about the wedding, rather than just saying it lasted 9 days. 
This was a really interesting story. There were a lot of elements that I liked and think that I may try to implement into my future writings, such as the subheadings, different geographical locations, and the tragedy of the Gruagach Gaire's story. I enjoyed the way the story was written, which was with a good mix of narration and dialogue. The author did a good job of laying out all the important details of the characters without droning on forever with detail. I liked this reading a lot and I will definitely be coming back to reference it. 


Bibliography:

Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microfiction Revisions: Two Spooky Little Stories

Original Texts: Got Ya I ran. I ran as fast as I possibly could, the branches whipping at face, grabbing at my hair. It was almost as though...