Thursday, December 3, 2020

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales, Part B

The Warlock



This is apparently the "Grand Warlock of Wikipedia," but I like to imagine that the warlock in the story looked somewhat like this.


Observations:
  • The language used here is very old-timey. Not all the language is necessarily like that, but there are certain parts that I would not know without looking them up
  • Okay but why did he have to be watched over after he was dead? I feel like there is more cultural context needed here
    • Also, why was it the wives that had to watch over him?
  • So were warlocks not part of the Christian faith? It is an oddly specific request to not want a cross near or around you at all, especially after you are already long dead
  • Um, why is he speaking to the daughter's from the grave? Also, why did she answer?
  • I do like the dialogue tactics used here though. The ways the dialogue is repeated throughout the story is something I know I have noted before, but I truly do want to try to emulate in this week's writing.
  • I do enjoy the slightly spooky element that is happening here. It seems like these are common themes in Russian folktales that I enjoy
    • I would like to try to use the subtle spookiness present in this story in my own writing
    • I tend to be overt in all my writing, so trying to be subtle would be a welcomed challenge
  • Oh no. Again, I do not think I have ever written about a character dying, although I am surprised that I have not. I would like to try to do this I think!
  • I like the idea that the writer introduced something that just seemed a bit odd in the beginning, like the fact that he did not want to be near a cross or have his daughters in law sport one. This element ended up being a key part in the story. I think that is something good writers do often. I would like to try to sneak something in my stories like this and then have it be extremely important in the end. It feels fun.
Overall I enjoyed this story a lot! It was spooky and fun while still being short. I thought the writer did a good job bringing in subtle elements that were super needed for the ending. I think I will re-tell this story this week!


Bibliography:
Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston (1887)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microfiction Revisions: Two Spooky Little Stories

Original Texts: Got Ya I ran. I ran as fast as I possibly could, the branches whipping at face, grabbing at my hair. It was almost as though...